Meetings are usually held the third Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. Unless otherwise stated, we meet at Burpee Museum of Natural History, 737 N. Main Street, Rockford, Illinois.
The Wild Ones Rock River Valley Chapter publishes a monthly newsletter for its members which contains informative and timely articles about upcoming events, past events, related events, and other useful information. For a sample newsletter click here.
We are a member of the Four River Environmental Coalition partnering with and supporting their events.
Visitors are welcome at most events and are invited to join the growing membership.
The Wild Ones Rock River Valley Chapter carries out the mission of Wild Ones through a variety of activities, which typically includes any of the following:
- Informative Meetings, include how-to-do-it sessions, presentations by experts in prairie, woodland, and wetland native plants and related subjects and members profiling their own projects.
- Show Me/Help Me Day, members tour other members’ yards, share ideas, and offer suggestions.
- Woodland Native Plant Sale, with orders being taken February through April, for pick up in May. This sale offers mostly species for shady locations. The pick up location is near Durand, IL.
- Native Prairie Plant Sale, with orders being taken March through April. This sale offers mostly species for sunny to part shade locations. The pick up location is in Rockford, IL.
- Native Tree and Shrub Sale, with orders being taken in August and September, for pick up late September near Durand, IL.
- Plant Rescues, where members dig plants in the path of development. The rescued plants go to home landscapes or are used for restoration efforts in the local area.
- Seed Exchanges, we meet in November to exchange native plant seed that members have collected.
- Seeds For Education Program,a grant and education progrm.The chapter educates and supports community efforts to establish natural areas and to work with educational institutions and other areas of learning.